From Grimaldi's Castel to Picasso museum
Household for bishops back in the Middle Age (from 442 to 1385), the place then host the famous monegasque family which gave it its name : the Grimaldi Castle. Then stronghold of the King's governor, it became a city-hall in 1792, and eventually a barrack in 1820.
The birth of Picasso museum
In 1923, Romuald Dor de la Souchère begins his archaeological fiel work in Antibes, and in 1924, founded the Antibes friends Museum society, whom has for goal to establish a historical and archaeological Museum, and worked to make sure the Past of the region gain some renown.
In 1925, the castle is bought by the city of Antibes and becomes the Grimaldi Museum, with as 1st custodian, Romuald Dor de la Souchère himself. It becomes a historical monument in August, 28th, 1928.
Le Château Grimaldi devient l'atelier de Pablo Picasso, puis le musée Picasso.
In 1946, Dor de la Souchère offered Picasso to use a part of the castle as a studio.
Falls comes and Picasso, really enthusiastic, works at the castle for two months straight, and makes a lot pieces, drawings and paintings. After his stay, he left to the city no less than 23 paintings and 44 drawings. And among them, the famous : La joie de vivre, Satyre, Faune et centaure au trident, Le gobeur d'oursins, La femme aux oursins, Nature morte à la chouette et aux trois oursins, la Chèvre...
On September, 7th, 1948, Picasso gave to the collection 78 ceramics that he made at the Madoura studio in Vallauris.
On December, 26th, 1966, as a tribute to Picasso, the Grimaldi Castle officialy became the Picasso Museum, first ever museum dedicated to the artist. And finally, un 1991, the Jaqueline Picasso's gift in kind allows to enhance the Picasso collections.
The other works presented at Antibes' Picasso museum
Nicolas de Staël's artworks exposed at the Museum are a testimony of the time Picasso spent in Antibes, between September 1954 and Mars 1955. A first donation to the Museum is allowed by his widow after the exhibit dedicated to the artist in 1955, and from 1982, the City acquires major late artworks.
In 2001, a donation made by the Hans Hartung and Anna-Eva Bergman Foundation allows the opening of two more rooms at the first floor of the Museum. A permanent exhibit allows a wander into each artist work.
A must-see in the Museum : the work of Nicolas de Staël, Hans Hartung and Anna-Eva
Bergman. Top that with a rich modern art collection made from either extraordinary donations by artists whom exposed at one time at the Museum, or purchase made in order to represent the major art trends of the XXth and early XXIth century : Atlan, Balthus, Ben, Bioules, Bloch, Buraglio, Bury, Calder, Cane, Castellas, César, Chillida, Clavé, Combas, Corneille, Crotti, Debré, Dezeuze, Ernst, Gleizes, Goetz, Hantaï, Jaccard, Klein, Leppien, Magnelli, Malaval, Mansouroff, Mathieu, Meurice, Modigliani, Music, Picabia, Pincemin, Raynaud, Raysse, Sarkis, Soulages, Spoerri, Viallat...
The Castle terrace permanently hosts a remarkable sculpture exhibit made by Germaine Richier, Joan Miró, Bernard Pagès, Anne and Patrick Poirier...
The opening times of museum
The Picasso Museum opens every day except Monday. It also closes on January 1st, May 1st, November 1st, and December 25th.
September, 16th – June, 14th : 10:00 am – 01:00 pm / 02:00 pm – 06:00 pm
June, 15th – September, 15th : 10:00am – 06:00 pm
Tills close at 12:30pm and 05:00pm.